daya sEyavayyA sadaya rAmacandraShow Details
|Do Condescend, O Merciful Lord Sri Ramachandara!|
dayanu koJcemaina nADuShow Details
talacucunna sItA sukhamu (daya)
|Do condescend to show atleast a little of that comfort derived by Sita who, that day was contemplating of Your grace. |
1. kSiti nAthula rAkayuShow Details
sammati lEka zrI sAkEta
pati rADEyana vaccunanina
satiki kalgina Anandamu (daya)
2. celiyarO nA vale nAthunaku
galarEmO rAlEdani jAli
telisi mrokkukoni brOvu vELa
baliminineduraina sukhamu (daya)
3. koJcemI rUpamAvillu
vaJca kUDaga pOnOyani
eJci jAli jenda mEnu
peJci kanipiJcinaTla (daya)
4. eTTi vArikaina dorakan-
aTTi janakajanu boTTu
kaTTi karamu paTTu vELa
kAntakunna sukhamu tanaku (daya)
5. kOrina vAralanu nEn-
I rIti brOtunani sabha
vAralaku teliya jEyu
dAri tyAgarAjunaku (daya)
|1. Do condescend to bestow on me that joy felt by Sita – the virtuous woman – who being not happy with the arrival of (other) kings – Lords of Earth (for svayam-vara), on enquiring whether Sri Rama – the Lord of Saketa – would not come, when (she was) told that 'He would surely come'.|
2. Do condescend to bestow on me that solace derived by Sita, by Your forcefully appearing (before her) knowing her grief, when she was supplicating that You had not come probably because there might have been other fiances like me to the Lord.
3. Do condescend to bestow on me that kind of grace which You showed by demonstrating Your prowess when – Sita was worried thinking that with this small form, You might not be able to bend that huge bow.
4. Do condescend to bestow on me that solace derived by Sita - Your Consort, when You held (her) hand by marrying her - daughter of King janaka - who could not be attained by any one - no matter how eminent.
5. Do condescend to show this Thyagaraja that method which You made known to those present in the assembly that, this is how I shall protect those who seek me.
- 1rADE – this is how it is given in all the books. However, looking other similar words ‘galarEmO’ (C2), ‘pOnO (C3), this word should be ‘rADO’.
- 1celiyarO – The form of this word ‘celiya’ is not very clear.
- 2mrokkukoni brOvu vELa – There is some doubt about translation of these words in the context.
- General – The episodes related by Sri Thyagaraja – Sita thinking of Sri Rama even before marriage, her anticipation of Sri Rama for the Svayamvara (selection of suitor), her anxiety that Sri Rama might not come and her apprehension that Sri Rama might not be able to succeed in bending the bow – all these are not part of Srimad Valmiki Ramayana. Please refer to Srimad Valmiki Ramayana, Bala Kanda, Chapters 66 and 67 – please visit site.
- The Tamizh poet Kamban in his version of Ramayana (Kamba Ramayana) describes the encounter of Sri Rama and Sita before the Svayamvara at that time when when Sita was standing at the upper floor (Ubbarigai) and Sri Rama was entering the town of Mithila along with Lakshmana and sage Visvamitra. He states ‘aNNaluM nOkkinAn avaLuM nOkkinAL’ – Rama and Sita looked at each other.
- It is worth noting that instead of Sri Thyagaraja enacting the role of Prahlada, it is the latter who is enacting the role of Sri Thyagaraja.
- This kriti forms part of dance drama 'Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam'
|Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam (Drama) of Tyagaraja|