Hari hari niyokka
hari hari1 nIyokka divya pAdAravindamiyyavEShow Details
|Hari! Hari! Bestow on us Your divine Lotus Feet. |
dharanu kalugu bhOga bhAgyamellanuShow Details
tathyamu kAdu sumI2 zrI kRSNa
|All enjoyments and riches that accrue to one in this Earth |
are not real; isn’t it, Sri Krishna?
sanaka sanandana zrI nAradaShow Details
zukArjuna3 ghanulella4 nutiJcu
saGkrandana-lanayamu sEviJcu (hari)
|Praised by great persons like Sanaka, Sanandana, |
Sri Narada, Suka and Arjuna!
O lotus-eyed one, ever-worshipped by Brahma,
Indra and others...
vinu5 vEda purANAgama zAstraShow Details
ghana sama nIla niraJjana nirguNa
kanikaramuga tyAgarAju bhAviJcu7 (hari)
|Listen, one dwelling in Veda, Purana, Agama, Sastras |
and all branches of knowledge!
O Spotless One, blue as the rain-cloud! One beyond attributes!
O Hari, beheld in the mind by Thyagaraja, kindly (bestow...)
- 2sumI – sumA
- 4ghanulella – munulella : ghanulella - is more appropriate because ‘Arjuna’ is not a ‘muni’.
- 5vinu – ninu - munu : vinu - is appropriate.
- 6vidyalandu – vidyalanella :vidyalandu - is appropriate.
- 7tyAgarAju bhAviJcu – tyAgarAjupAsiJcu
- 3arjuna – Sri Thyagaraja seems to have included Arjuna – the third of Pancha Pandava. As this Kriit is forming part of Nauka Charitra where Sri Krishna is the Hero and the Lord being friend and benefactor of Arjuna, the reference to Arjuna is obvious. His praise of Lord in Bhagavat Gita – 11th Chapter is proof enough. There was one more Arjuna – Kartaviryarjuna. To know more about him please visit site – [Kartaviryarjuna]
- This is part of the dance-drama ‘Nauka Charitram’ – The Boat Story. Background - The Gopis meet Krishna at the Yamuna river and travel in a boat happily. In their excitement of meeting Krishna, Gopis become proud thinking that Krishna is their property. In order to remove their proudiness, Krishna creates a storm in the river and as the boat is tossed about, it develops a crack and water starts entering the boat. Krishna feigns illness and the Gopis become desparate as to how they would reach the shore and ensure safety of Krishna. In order to save the boat, listening to the words of Krishna, they take off their blouses to plug the hole. But, as these also were washed off, Krishna asks them to remove all their clothes to plug the hole in the boat. Even as these are washed away, they become desperate and surrender themselves to the Lord. Now, the song.)
- 1hari hari – This is an interjection meaning ‘alas’; however, the present context does not permit such a meaning.
- 7bhAviJcu – this indicates the state of mind and it is difficult to translate exactly in English language.
|Nauka Charitram (Drama) of Tyagaraja|