Manasa sancharare rame
mAnasa saJcara rE rAmE1Show Details
|O Mind, Remain in Sri Rama!|
vara muni bhakta lOka cayAryE2Show Details
parama pAvana nirjara varyE
mukha jita bhAryE3 (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the One who is dear to eminent ascetics and devotees, |
is supremely holy, is sought by celestials, and
whose face surpasses (the beauty of) Moon.
swara jita ghana rava mAdhuryEShow Details
sura vairi nicaya tamassUryE
nirupama zauryE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one whose voice surpasses the roar of rain-cloud in sweetness,|
who is the Sun that dispels the demon-darkness, and
who is the incomparable hero.
vikasita sarasIruha nEtrEShow Details
makarAGka4 kOTi sannibha gAtrE
kauzika mitrE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one who eyes are lotuses in full-bloom,|
who is a crore times as handsome as Cupid, and
who is the benefactor of sage Visvamitra.
zuka mukha vinuta5 sucAritrEShow Details
akaLaGka sItA sukaLatrE
karuNA pAtrE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one whose character is praised by sage Suka;|
who is the consort of the blemishless Sita, and
who is the very receptacle of compassion.
agaNita lOka gaNAdhArEShow Details
naga vairi ripu6 jalada samIrE
durjana dUrE7 (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one who is the prop of numerous Worlds;|
who is the wind that blows away the dark clouds of demons;
who is far removed from the wicked.
vigaLita mada hRdayAgArEShow Details
hari parivArE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one who resides in conceitless hearts, |
who is the one found in the Vedas and Agamas; and
who has monkeys in his retinue.
kamalAsana nuta guNa grAmEShow Details
kamalAri8 zEkhara priya rAmE
vArida zyAmE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the one whose virtues have been extolled by Brahma;|
the delightful One, dear to Lord Siva;
who is dark-complexioned like the rain-cloud.
kamalA hRd-kumuda9 sOmEShow Details
amala citta jana ripu bhImE
gOpikA kAmE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the Moon which blossoms the heart-lily of Lakshmi;|
the terror to the enemies of the pure-minded;
the one who is desired by the Gopikas.
vAgIzEndra rudrAdhIzEShow Details
rAga lObha mada vinAzE
|[Remain in] the Overlord of (even) Brahma, Indra and Siva;|
one who annihilates attachment, avarice and arrogance;
who is Lord of all.
rAjarAja pUjita ramEzEShow Details
tyAgarAja hRdaya nivEzE
sAkEta purIzE (mAnasa)
|[Remain in] the Consort of Lakshmi, worshipped by (even) emperors;|
the one who has entered Thyagaraja's heart;
who is the Lord of Ayodhya.
- 1mAnasa saJcara rE - is repeated in some books.
- 9hRd-kumuda – hRdaya kumuda
- All the words in the Charanams are declined in the Locative Case (saptamI vibhakti).
- 2bhakta lOka caya – Both the words 'lOka' and 'caya' generally indicate 'multitude'. As both words are appearing together, 'lOka' has been translated as 'people'.
- 3mukha jita bhAryE – In all the books this has been translated as ‘one who vanquishes the moon in the beauty of face. ‘bhArya’ generally means ‘wife’. However, Sri Thyagaraja uses the word ‘bha rAja’ in the Kriti ‘mElukOvayya’ – rAga bhauLi – to mean ‘moon’. It seems here the word is to be split as ‘bha+Arya’ – one who is dear to stars – moon. If the word ‘bhArya’ is taken literally, then it would be translated as ‘one whose face vanquishes even his wife’. Probably, this is not the intention.
- 4makarAGka – Kamadeva’s banner – for more information -[Makaranka]
- 5zuka mukha vinuta –Please also refer to Sadasiva Brahmendra Kriti ‘pibarE rAma rasaM’ – Charana 4 – ‘zuka zaunaka kauzika mukha pItaM’.
- 6naga vairi ripu – Indra is stated to be the enemy of mountains; Please refer to Valmiki Ramayana – Sundara Kanda – Chapter 1.
- 7durjana dUrE – God is resident in every one’s heart – whether wicked or pious; but – as Ramakrishna Paramahamsa states – one who draws near the fire, feals the warmth of it; but wicked people keep themselves away from the warmth of God – thus He is stated to be away from the wicked.
- 8kamalAri – certain kinds of Lotuses (kamala) bloom only at sunrise and close at sunset; certain others (kumuda) bloom only after moon-rise and close before sunrise; Therefore Sun and Moon are called enemy or friend of Lotus as the case may be.