yO'rthajJa itsakalaM bhadra-maznute |
nAkamEti jJAna vidhUta pApmA ||
By understanding the meaning one benefits immensely,
Attains true knowledge, and gets absolved of all sins
Sahityam.net is a Wiki of Carnatic sAhityam (lyrics).
Tyagaraja kritis | Dikshitar kritis | Syama Sastri Kritis | Purandaradasa kritis | Mysore Vasudevacharya kritis | Varnams
Dikshitar Kamalamba navavaranam | Tyagaraja ghana raga pancharatna | Tyagaraja Prahlada bhakti vijayam | Tyagaraja nauka charitram
Totally, around 1,820 songs available so far.
Want to contribute?
- Sign up!
- Read the tutorial: Help:Editing song
- Join the contributors' mailing list (or mail srikanthsubram at Gmail).
Did you know?
- It's bhAramA, not “baramma”: A common misunderstanding with Brova bharama.
- Dikshitar on Sarada Devi of Kashmir: Kalavati kamalasana yuvati.
- Sadasiva Brahmendra's Manasa sancharare (in raga Sama) is well known. Are you aware of Tyagaraja's kriti Manasa sancharare in raga Punnagavarali?
- The kriti Dvaitamu sukhama, where Tyagaraja expresses his dilemma in choosing between Dvaita and Advaita, is quite popular. But do you know of his lesser known kriti on a similar theme: E dari sancharintura (Which path shall I take)?
- of the Dikshitar kritis in Manipravalam (a mixture of Sanskrit, Telugu and Tamil)
gOkarNa kSEtramulO nelakoni
mRkaNDu munigaL mudalAna bhaktAnAm
abhaya vara pradAna caturatara ramApatE (Venkatachalapate)
zrI abhayAmbA ninnu cintiJcina vAriki
inda kavalaiyellAM tIrumammA (Sri abhayamba ninnu)
- ... which of the four Vedas Tyagaraja considers superior, and why? See Nada tanumanisham.
- ... of the Dikshitar composition in praise of Mohini (Vishnu in female form), mother of zAstA? Marakata vallim.
- ... that the song Mari mari ninne in the Tamil film "Sindhubhairavi" is a Tyagaraja kriti originally in Kambhoji?
- There are not many Carnatic songs in praise of mortals (nara stuti). One of the few is the Thodi Ata tala varnam Kanakangi, composed in praise of Serfoji II, King of Thanjavur.