sAdhiJcenE O manasAShow Details
|O mind, he did accomplish!|
bOdhiJcina sanmArga1 vacanamulaShow Details
boGku jEsi dA paTTina paTTu
|Having falsified all the statements on the true path (He Himself) had taught, |
He (did accomplish/substantiate) the stand He had taken.
samayAniki tagu mATalADenE2Show Details
|He spoke tuning his words as per the occasion.|
dEvakI-vasudEvula3 nEkiJcinaTu4 (sama)Show Details
|As if defaming Devaki and Vasudeva, (He spoke...)|
raGgEzuDu sad-gaGgA janakuDu5Show Details
6saGgIta 7sAmpradAyakuDu (samayAniki)
|The Lord of the Assembly, One who generated sacred river Ganga, |
One belonging to musical tradition, (spoke...)
gOpI-jana manOrathamosaGga8 lEkanEShow Details
gEliyu jEsE-vADu9 (sama)
|The One, who, without fulfilling the desire of the Gopis, |
makes fun of them, (spoke...)
vanitala sadA sokka jEyucunuShow Details
mrokka jEsE paramAtmuDadiyu gAka
yazOda tanayuDaJcu mudambunanu
muddu peTTa10 navvucuNDu hari (samayAniki)
|The Supreme Lord who, while making the damsels ever-enamoured of Him, |
also makes them worship Him; furthermore,
the Hari, who, when Yasoda regarding Him as her son,
joyously kisses Him, would keep smiling, (spoke...)
sArAsAruDu11 sanaka sanandanaShow Details
sanmuni sEvyuDu sakalAdhAruDu (samayAniki)
|The Lord who is both the substance and non-substance, worshipped by great sages like Sanaka and Sanandana, the prop of everything, (spoke...)|
parama bhakta vatsaluDu suguNaShow Details
kali bAdhala tIrcuvADanucu nE
hRdambujamuna jUcucuNDaga (samayAniki)
|Regarding Him as the One supremely affectionate towards devotees, |
the Ocean of virtues, Ever-sinless one,
the reliever of the troubles of the Kali Age,
While I keep beholding Him in the Lotus of my heart, (He spoke...)
harE rAmacandra raghukulEzaShow Details
mRdu subhASa zESa-zayana
para-nArI sOdarAja virAja turaga
rAja-rAja nuta nirAmayApaghana
vEDukonna nannu tA brOvakanu (samayAniki)
|O Hari, Ramachandra, O Lord of Solar dynasty, |
O Soft-spoken one, One reclining on Sesha,
Who is a brother to other women, O Unborn, One who rides on Garuda,
One praised by Emperors, One with healthy limbs,
O Lotus-petal Eyed!
Instead of protecting me, who besought Him thus, (He spoke...)
zrI vEGkaTEza swaprakAza12Show Details
sarvOnnata sajjana mAnasa nikEtana
kanakAmbara dhara lasanmakuTa
kuNDala virAjita harEyanucu nE
pogaDagA tyAgarAja gEyuDu
mAnavEndruDaina rAmacandruDu (samayAniki)
|Sri Venkatesa, O Self-effulgent One, |
Most Eminent, One residing in the hearts of virtuous people,
One wearing golden (hued) garments, One resplendent with shining diadem
and ear-rings, O Hari!
Even as I extol Him thus,
Ramachandra, the lord among men, one sung about by Thyagaraja (spoke...)
samayAniki tagu mATalADenEShow Details
amarikagA nA pUja konenE
|He spoke (seemingly devious) words suited to the occasion; |
He prescribed the conduct of true devotees;
He accepted my worship in a befitting manner;
He told me to not be afraid;
vimukhulatO cEra bOkumanenEShow Details
veta kaligina14 tALukommanenE
15dama zamAdi sukha dAyakuDagu zrI
tyAgarAja nutuDu centa rAkanE (sAdhincenE)
|He asked me not to associate with those whose faces are averted (from the Lord); |
He asked me to forbear even when I am distressed.
Thus, the bestower of comforts, control of mind and control of physical body,
the One praised by Thyagaraja, without coming near, (accomplished/substantiated his point).
- 2samayAniki – samayAlaku
- 4EkiJcanaTu – EgiJcanaTu : EkiJcanaTu is the appropriate word.
- 7sampradAyakuDu – As per Telugu dictionary, the word should be ‘sampradAyikuDu’.
- 9 jEsE – jEseDu
- 10muddu peTTa – muddu peTTu : muddu peTTa - is the appropriate word.
- 11This Svara Sahitya is available only in the book of TKG.
- 12svaprakAza – suprakAza : svaprakAza - is the correct word.
- 14veta galgina – veta galgitE
- 5sad-gaGgA janakuDu - Regarding birth of river Ganga, Srimad Bhagavatam – Book 8 – Chapter 21 refers.
- 8gOpi jana manOrathamosaGga lEkanE – Please refer to Srimad Bhagavatam, Book 10, Chapter 39, wherein the Lord assures the Gopis that he would return to Vraja, but never ever returned after that.
- 15zama dama – SaDguNa sampat – zama, dama, titikSa, samAdhAna, uparati, zraddhacontrol upon his own mind, control upon his physical body, forbearence for the odds and evens of the nature, equanimity of all beings and having a sympathetic mind, indifference with a sAkSi type of mind, sincere adherence to the words of guru and zAstrAs, by word and deed. [Six Virtues]
- 1sanmArga vacanamula boGku jEsi – Svara Sahityas 1 to 4 of the caraNa are in praise of Sri Krishna. The stark difference between conduct of Sri Rama and Sri Krishna is what mentioned here. However, to understand the true purport of the sports which the Lord enacted as Sri Krishna, it needs a frame of mind like those of Sir Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Meera, Andaal and other devotees of the Lord. Though Sri Thyagaraja seems to criticise the Lord in this Kriti, if we read his ‘Nauka Charitra’ wherein the Raas Lila has been dramatised, it would be clear that Sri Thyagaraja is pointing out only to apparent differences.
- 3dEvaki vasudEvulanEkiJcanaTu – In some books, this has been taken to mean ‘He subjected his parents to trilas and sorrow’. The corresponding word EkiJcu does not convey any such meaning; it means ‘defame’ and similar meanings.
- 6saGgIta sAmpradAyakuDu - Krishna is an expert flute player, hearing which the complete Gokula was mesmerised.
- 13sadbhaktula naDatalu – Please refer to Kriit ‘karuNa ElAgaNTE’. A true devotee will NOT - utter falsehood; beseech mean-minded; worship even benevolent kings; forget the Sun (worship); touch meat; drink any intoxicants; cause injury to others; forget teachings; use or enjoy the three kinds of desires - wife, children and wealth; exhibit the delight of wandering as living free; deceive anyone; utter falsehood with blessed or pious people; abandon the truth even when his mind or intellect is disturbed; deviate from his aim with the understanding that he is only a witness.
|Ghana Raga Pancharatna of Tyagaraja|
|Jagadanandakaraka (Nata) · Dudukugala (Gaula) · Sadhinchene (Arabhi) · Kana kana ruchira (Varali) · Endaro mahanubhavulu (Sri)|